Wednesday, October 15, 2008

CONTEMPLATION. . . .

I wanted to post something this morning but find that the creative juices are not flowing, so I dipped into my store of already created masterpieces, and this is what I came up with.

On a day in 1963 when Ina's day seemed to be too short for what she had to do, and responsibilities seemed overwhelming, she took a brief respite and had a little fun.

CONTEMPLATION
I like to sit and contemplate upon my lot in life,
to ponder what I might have been if I wasn't George's wife.
I dream of being unattached to lead a life of ease -
a life where I can come and go and do just as I please.
I've often thought the life for me was that of a fat, old maid,
eating yummy slices of bread with peanut butter and marmalade.
But, when I think of Mom and Dad and the cross they'd have to bear,
to have me home year after year, would hardly seem too fair.
So, I let my thoughts drift off again to something much more daring,
than worrying about the fatty bulge and what I "can't" be wearing.
I think that I would like to be performing upon the stage;
with my loud, clear voice and knack for talk - I'm sure I'd be the rage!
The thought of starring in the movies, also gives me joy.
I'm sure I'd be another Liz with my own sweet "Dickie" boy!
Then I catch a glimpse of my reflection in the window pane,
"Ouch!" , I think, "Not even the Asp would bite a Marjorie Main!"
So, I think of simpler ways,
in which to spend my remaining days. . . .
Gee, how fun to be a female Tarzana of the Apes -
just swinging through the jungle eating purple wild grapes!
But when I had to clean my hut, this I would abhor -
seeing all the ugly spiders leaving dust trails on my floor!
I'd like to go to Africa to watch the wild game,
but, after climbing Kilimanjaro, I'm sure I'd be too lame.
Doctor, lawyer, stewardess, nurse -
Writer, beatnik, snatcher of purse,
Dancer, comedienne, Indian Chief -
This and that, and "Oh, good grief!"
Just when I'm exhausted and feeling blue,
I hear my baby whisper, "Mama, I love you."
George comes in and says, "Boy, do you look beat,
I think perhaps I should take the family out to eat!"
Paul and Rhonda rush around -
and bring my shoes on the bound,
Nana yips,
and out I trip,
and, so ends another day -
I think I'll quit while I'm ahead, and accept my lot in life,
and concentrate on being "just a better George's wife!"
The end by,
you guessed it! - GEORGE'S WIFE - Ina Mae Wadsworth Wimsatt
Do you realize how young I was when I wrote that? George's wife looking in the window pane that day certainly wouldn't see what she sees when she looks in it today.
And yes, my grandchildren are not too familiar with Liz, "Dickie" boy and the Asp, and I am sure none of them have a clue who Marjorie Main is. . . .but that was then and this is now!

1 comment:

Rhonda said...

I always liked that picture of Granny and Grandad. The picture of Uncle Leo and Uncle David is great. I loved the one of Lisa and I on the horse, the boys too! Do you know which horse that is? Buttermilk? It seems like I only remember Junior and Buttermilk though I know there were others. I remember your poem from the past, luv it! You wrote that as a young mother and now you are a great grandma..and I a grandma....Crazy!