Wednesday, January 7, 2009

MACFest - Congratulations George!. . . .





George and I are both big fans of the Louis
L'Amour books and the movies which are
made from the books.

Sam Elliot and Tom Selleck are two of the
actors who are most often cast in these
movies. Both are naturals to play cowboys from the
old west glory days of cowboys and Indians,
rangers and marshals, outlaws and those
gunfighters, good and bad, who were fast on
the draw.

The pictures shown are two of George's last
Leather Art projects. They are made using the covers of two of Louis L'Amour's books as the subject for the pictures.

The Blue Ribbon was presented to him by The Mesa Art Guild designating him as "MACFest Artist of the Week".


George is really enjoying being an exhibiting artist at MACFest each Saturday. He loves the interest people show in his leather work. He is now a member of the Mesa Art Guild and has been told that his work fits the criteria to become a Juried Artist.

This came to him by e-mail on Monday:

Hello George Wimsatt,

Congratulations January 3rd MACFest Blue Ribbon Winner!

MACFest ARTIST SPOTLIGHT

We would like to do a Human Interest Story on you. We are interested in your personal story
as to who you are and who you are as an artist. We have a few questions for you to consider
that would fit into the personal MACFest stories we are looking for.

THIS IS YOUR INTERVIEW: Following are the questions asked and George's answers.

What is your name, the city in which you reside and your art medium of choice?
George P. Wimsatt, Mesa. Arizona. Leather work is my medium of choice.

When did you start your art work or creative process?

I was introduced to leather work as a Boy Scout in 1944. While serving in the Navy, I was
stationed at the Naval Training Center in San, Diego, California and took a part time job in
the evenings at the on base Hobby Shop. In one department, leather working tools were
checked out and leather and other goods were sold. I worked in that department checking
out and selling supplies to customers and students. When work was slow, I began tooling
leather. About 6 months later, the civilian instructor became ill and I was put on the floor to
instruct students,

Do you have an actual art studio within your home and/or location in which you
create?

I work in one room of my home which is set up with our computers, printer, and other
components on one side. The other side has a table, lights, art supplies and a rolling
mechanical tool chest. There is also storage space for completed art pieces and work in
progress.

What is it that makes you aspire to create your art work?

I have found that sitting down and working on leather art is very relaxing. It takes a lot
of concentration and you have to clear your mind of all else. In other words, you forget
your troubles and problems. For many years, it was a hobby where I made pieces of
leather art for my family and friends. The last few years, I have been making scripture
carriers for many of them. I also completed several other items, including pictures, for my
wife, children, and grandchildren. This is my first experience to show to the public my
leather art which I had previously considered just a hobby. Thank you MACFest for giving
me this opportunity!

What is your greatest art accomplishment?

Being here at MACFest and seeing the public's interest in my art medium.

How has your artwork and/or craft inspired your everyday life?

It has inspired me to look carefully at everything I see or do. Each time I see something
that interests me, I wonder how I can portray it on leather. At first, I only tooled the
leather, but then started to teach myself to paint the pictures and designs. This means to
me that there is more to life than just black and white, that everyone is different and we
should seek out the best in each person, each animal, each part of our beautiful world.

Compose a short 50 words or less artist statement about your artwork.

Until now, I had never considered myself an artist. I have never had art lessons and there
are very few instructors in leather work available. As relates to my painting, I have used
the trial and error method with many errors happening along with a lot of trials. I have
found this experience with MACFest a fun way to let people see my work.

Thank you George, I do so enjoy your leather work, Denise - Mesa Arts Guild

3 comments:

Rhonda said...

Way to go Dad! You deserve that blue ribbon. Its great that you get to spend more time on your art now, you have created some beautiful pieces!

Ina said...

Marie said...
Boy, those L'Amour leather book cover pictures are so good! They look like oil paintings. I bet there are very few people in the country who can work and paint leather so well. Faces must be incredibly difficult to do. When I try to draw a face, it looks worse than a face in the comics. George's leather work shows enormous talent. I am glad he's getting recognition at/from MACFest.

Ina said...

Jeni said...
Granddad sure is one talented guy. He always has been. He's got the knack for leather work (and for cooking!)