Sunday, March 21, 2010

A bit Of Woolworth Trivia. . . .

Salt Lake City and the Magleby family were a central part of my
story about F. W. Woolworth Co. After reading the story, Bruce,
the youngest of the children of LeGrande and Theresa, replied
with this interesting bit of Woolworth trivia. He was not yet born
when I was living with his parents in 1949 and 1950 and so was
not a part of the story. However, the Woolworth tradition of the
family's shopping there, obviously continued after his birth.

I thought the family would be interested in reading it and decided
that instead of posting it as a comment to my story, Iwould share
it with you.

Hello Aunt Ina and Uncle George,

I liked reading your latest blog about Woolworths. I sure did like
checking out the menu.

From age 9 to 13, I worked as a janitor before and after school at
my elementary school. I made $40.00 a month, about 80 cents
an hour. I thought I was rich. I guess I was since prices were so
low. Those were the days, they were simpler. Today, you have
to be 14 to even have the janitor helper job. At age 9, I was plenty
capable to handle the job. Brandon had the same job a few years
ago and the school takes it so serious now, it is sad.

In the third grade or so, my parents bought me a Schwin three
speed bike. I wanted to ride it to school, but was afraid it would
get stolen. My dad and I went to Woolworths and picked out a
combination lock so I could lock up my new bike. I was afraid I
would forget the combination so my Dad and I checked out many
different locks and found one with an easy combination to remember.
It was 36-6-16.

Love,
Bruce

No comments: