Saturday, August 28, 2010

Our New Bedroom. . . .











We finally finished redoing our bedroom. I don't think we would have
been been able to accomplish this without Trey's help. He helped
George move the furniture and he removed the popcorn from the
ceiling, textured and painted it. He also did all of the high ladder
work such as removing and reinstalling the ceiling fan and the high
up painting.
Rhonda was my interior designer when it came to choosing colors
and the valance for the blind. To save money, we tried to use accent
pieces we had. We also decided to not replace the blind for the sliding
patio door. Since it was pink, I worried about that, but the colors
we chose and the valance Rhonda found, tied it together beautifully.
We used lamps we already had in our bedroom. George repainted
the design with colors to match the walls. You would think that I
chose colors to match the dolls, flower arrangement, and floral
picture. I didn't. I chose the colors I wanted and they just happened
to compliment my accent pieces. I was amazed and happy at how
they blended so perfectly with each other.
Years ago, Kathy painted each of Leo's sisters a floral picture
featuring our favorite colors. Over the years, her picture has hung
in several different homes we have had and it looks nicer on this
wall than any of the others.
Rhonda brought me the beautiful Furga doll from Italy years ago.
I had always admired my siter Theresa's Furga dolls and was
delighted when she brought her to me. She didn't know I had
always wanted a Furga lady doll. We kept Brinton while she
was in Italy. It was 1984. He was just a little guy, 15 months old.
The boy and girl C & R Dolls on the dresser, were a gift from
Theresa in the early 1980s. The flower arrangement was made
by Donna Sperry who is a dear friend and was Relief Society
President when George was Bishop of the Alpine Ward. She made
it for his office. The plaques are in recognition of the hours and
service I have rendered to the Phoenix Zoo since I became a
volunteer there in 1991.
The picture above the bed is a limited edition lithograph of a
painting done by Ruby, the Phoenix Zoo's painting elephant.
It is titled "Midnight". I have had it since just after Ruby died
and had never framed it to hang. This was the perfect time.
George hand tooled the leather picture of Ruby to hang by it.
It was done from a photo taken of Ruby just after she had
completed a painting. The raised trunk was always her
signal that the painting she was working on was finished.
Dick George was the Zoo's photographer at that time. He
wrote and illustrated a book about Ruby after her death.
So, our new bedroom is decorated with things that are near
and dear to my heart and make the room seem even more
special to me. I think it all blended together in a very
attractive way.

4 comments:

RoeH said...

I'm jealous of that beautiful neat clean room, also. I'm just a covet-er continually, Looks beautiful!!

Rhonda said...

Looks good Mom. The valance does tie everything together. I love that you have Ruby's painting hanging,can't wait to see Dad's Ruby up close and personal. I think Brinton was only 15 months old when we went to Italy...so 1984
You all did really well your room is beautiful! Shades of El Cajon!

Ina said...

Rhonda, I am correcting the info in my story. George said Brinton was just over a year old. I honestly did not remember. Thanks for helping me get my facts straight.

The Monrreal's said...

Your room looks great completed with all the wall hangings!