Sunday, August 8, 2010

Words Of Wisdom From A Wise And Spiritual Man. . . .


Lois Stewart Wadsworth and James Allen Wadsworth

Last Sunday was Fast and Testimony meeting. As I sat listening
to the testimonies that were being borne, I couldn't help but reflect
that as people prioritize the things in their life that are of the most
importance, the things that make them the happiest, some of them
list the material things; possessions, trips taken, and events that
give them instant excitement and entertainment. I didn't share
my testimony and that is not a good thing, but I found myself
hoping that I would never lose sight of what a "true testimony"
really is.

I remembered something I had read a few months earlier that
my father wrote at the end of his life history. In this history, he
shared some of the things he had accomplished in his life that he
considered important enough to make a difference in the lives of
his fellow men. I am proud of these accomplishments, but it is
what my father said at the end that touched my heart. His
children, grand children, great grandchildren and great great
grandchildren need to read this. It is a beautiful legacy left by
a truly wise and spiritual man. It follows:

"Now at 77 years of age and my health not too good, I have been
compelled to give up most of my public work. I am not entirely
satisfied with what I have done. Yet I look back over my life's
work and feel that I have few regrets. I can still attend some
meetings and perhaps do a little talking and discussing, and in
this way still keep up with what is going on and still do some good.
I would not have you think that what I have related is what has
been best in my life. Far from it. The greatest thing in my life has
been my wife and our family; the joy, satisfaction, and happiness I
now have with my wife and family, which now gives me
great grandchildren. I am a thorough believer in God and in his
Son, Jesus Christ. I believe that God is the spirit Father of
every man born in this world, that Adam is the Father of all men
in mortality. We were taught and instructed in the Spirit World
by God the Father and Jesus Christ, his Son.

There is definitely a pattern and a purpose in life, which is to
serve God and keep his commandments, that we might grow
and become like Him. When God created Adam "in his own
image". and gave unto him an helpmate (woman Eve), that it
was for the purpose of bringing children "like unto God" into
this world, all of the spirit children of our Father and Mother,
which art in Heaven. The body and spirit perfected consti-
tute the soul of man. When Adam ate of the forbidden fruit
in the Garden of Eden, he became as God, "knowing good from
evil. His eyes were opened". But Adam had disobeyed,
knowing by the commandment of the Lord and sin came into
the world, the greatest of which is death. Up until Adam broke
the first commandment, everything was peace and serenity.
There was now enmity among all the creatures God had
created "to dwell upon the earth."

As men were born upon the earth, they were to do as Adam
did. They were to take unto themselves a wife and bring
children into the world, the greatest blessing, privilege, and
commandment ever given to man. Now, since these children
had been born into a sinful, ignorant, and cruel world, unless
something was done, man would be lost in sin forever. So,
the Father gave His only Begotten Son, "that whosoever
believeth in Him should not perish but have everlasting
life." Jesus was crucified and took upon himself the sins of
all mankind; those now born, those who were born before
he came, and those yet to be born, even as many as there
were and are, spirits in heaven.

So, Christ was born, crucified, buried and resurrected so
that these wonderful things could come to us (men); a
resurrection, to come from the grave; to take our sins
away from us; to give us our agency, and to give us the
Gospel of Jesus Christ through which we might work out
our Salvation in his Kingdom.

Now, I firmly believe what I have written above and have
an abiding faith in these things. So, when I took my wife,
I understood what, at least to a certain degree, was my (our)
mission and purpose in this life; to bring children into this
world and to accept all the responsibility belonging thereto.
When I took my sweetheart to be my wife to love, cherish,
and protect, to be the better part of me, to be one with me
through love and sorrow and to furnish her a home filled
with love, to feed and clothe her and the children she gave
me, I entered upon the greatest career, responsibility and
commandment in all of the whole world. The greatest, the
grandest, of most importance in the church, the nation or
in the whole world. I put myself in a position to have more,
and do more, than it is possible to get in any job, position, or
way, to be had in the world."

Taken from "A brief history of James Allen Wadsworth,
son of Nephi John and Eliza Jane Terry Wadsworth"

In an article published in The Church News in August,
1982, celebrating 65 years of marriage for Lois Stewart
and James Allen Wadsworth, Dad said this, "We
respect each other rights, privileges, and ambitions. We
share each other's love, joys, and sorrows."

Dad died less than a year after this article was published
and three years later, Mom went to be with him. I miss
them so much and can not wait to see them again.

How thankful I am that my Father in Heaven loved me
enough to send me to earth to this wonderful couple to
be my earthly parents and that they loved me enough
to bring me into this mortal life, born under the
covenant, and sealed to them throughout eternity.

1 comment:

Rhonda said...

Amen. Anyone who reads this will know what a special man my Grandad,James Allen Wadsworth was. No doubt that he has a strong testimony and knows what is important.I love him and miss them both very much. I'm so thankful to be a member of their family. I love those two pictures.