Tuesday, December 1, 2009

All Things Zoo. . . .


Aldabra Tortoise


Grevys Zebra - The Grevys is the largest of the Zebra species

Reticulated Giraffes feeding near the observation tower
The Petting Zoo on The Childrens Trail

Asian Elephants - Reba and Indu - Sanctuary Animals

More of Reba and Indu

The new Komodo Exhibit - the female dragon

The Orangutan family - Duchess, the Matriarch, is the
oldest living Orangutan in any Zoo world wide. She will be 50 in March
Three Ring Tailed Lemurs sitting in a row
One of the islands for our apes - these are Gibbons

The Cheetah - The Phoenix Zoo belongs to the SSP for
this animal and has bred many to go to other zoos
The Mhorr Gazelle - This beautiful animal is the largest
of the Gazelles and is extinct in the wild
Spock, the Mandrill
Ken - The Hamadryas Baboon with one of his girls
White Rhinos - Notch and Half Ear - Sanctuary animals
African Lions - Brother and Sister
Jai the Sumatran Tiger
A female Ostrich on the African Savannah
Prairie Dogs enjoying the sunshine
Gila Monsters and a Speckled Rattlesnake
A Golden Eagle and two Ravens
Two Mexican Grey Wolves - severly endangered they are
part of the zoos SSP - the zoo breeds them and they have
been successfully released into the wild
It has been 72 years since my sister, Theresa, and brother-in-law,
LeGrande, took an excited little girl to the Hogle Zoo in Salt Lake
City. It was my first visit to a zoo. I had always loved animals and
to be able to actually see these beautiful wild animals in reality
instead of in the National Geographic and Readers Digest magazines
that I studied voraciously each month, was a dream come true. Each
time I visited Theresa and LeGrande, they made sure I was able to
visit the zoo.
When I went to live with them in 1949 after graduating from high
school, Shasta, the Hogle Zoo's famous liger, was just a year old.
She had been born at the zoo. Her parents were a male African Lion
and an Asian Tiger. I was fascinated with her. She was beautiful. I
visited her as often as I could while I was living there and several
times I took my two little nephews, Jim and Karl, with me so they
could see Shasta and the other animals. Shasta died in 1972 at the
age of 24. I was able to see her shortly before she died.
That first trip to the Hogle Zoo was the beginning of my life long
love affair with zoos. When George and I were married, he was in
the navy stationed in San Diego, California. Our first home there
was a lovely apartment in Hillcrest, a suburb of San Diego. We had
no car and little money, but our apartment was located just a block
from beautiful Balboa Park and we could walk through the park to
the San Diego Zoo. As a member of the Armed Forces, George and
I paid a bargain 25 cents admission to enter the zoo. Almost every
Saturday that he did not have duty, we would spend the day at
the zoo and the park. We had our favorite tree at the park. We
would spread a blanket under it and play games, read, eat, and
just relax. George usually took a nap and I watched people.
Paul, Rhonda, and Craig grew up with the San Diego Zoo as one of
their favorite places to go. They loved to ride the carousel just
outside of the zoo entrance. They would ride it over and over again
as they tried to grab the brass ring to earn a free ride. I'm not
sure that always ended up being a bargain, but they sure had fun.
Later, when we would go to the zoo with Justin and Jeni, they too
loved trying to grab the brass ring. They loved to celebrate their
birthdays at Balboa Park and we looked forward to joining them
for the fun at our favorite park.
We have been to the San Diego Zoo with Brinton and Trey many
times and have watched them laugh with excitement as they. too,
tried to capture the brass ring for their free ride. We have also
been there with Miranda and Hannah. I am not sure if we have
been there with Josh, but we have been to zoos with him and
his sisters in Kansas, Texas, and Phoenix. When we moved to
Mesa, I knew one of the things I would miss the most would be
the beautiful San Diego Zoo. Rhonda and Ken had moved to
Mesa. We followed a few years later. One of the first things
Rhonda and I did after we got settled was to take Brinton and
Trey to the Phoenix Zoo. Just as their mother had grown up
with the San Diego Zoo, so they grew up with the Phoenix Zoo
as one of their favorite places. It is a beautiful zoo and I fell in
love with it on that first visit.
One morning in 1991, as I read the Phoenix Republic newspaper,
I saw an add that the Phoenix Zoo was recruiting volunteers to
serve at the zoo. I applied and was accepted. I just recently
marked my 18th year as a Phoenix Zoo Volunteer. I have loved
my service there and consider it one of the most rewarding
things I have done. Now, in addition to my grandchildren, it
has given me the opportunity to be involved with my great
grandchildren, Cote, Brexton, and Nixon at many special
occasions at the zoo. Their parents and G Mama take them
often. Zoo lights has become a Christmas Tradition that our
family looks forward to each year. I have not yet visited a
zoo with our other little great grandson, Ethan, but have seen
pictures of a recent trip he had to the San Diego Zoo with his
mother, Jeni, and grandmother, Joanne. I look forward to
a trip to the zoo with him. It will be fun in the future to
watch his first attempt at capturing the brass ring on the
Carousel after a visit to the zoo, just as I watched his Grand-
dad, mother, and Uncle Justin do when they were children.
So, that first visit by a wide eyed little girl to the Hogle Zoo
in Salt Lake City those many years ago, has come full
circle as I extend my love of zoos to yet another generation.
When I worked my shift at the zoo last week, I chose to
serve as a roving Trail Host so I could take pictures of the
animals and their habitats as I moved from one stop to
another. The animals are not all close ups as I wanted
the pictures to also show the beauty of "my" zoo to post on
Growing Up Ina and The James Wadsworth blogs.

4 comments:

The Monrreal's said...

I LOVE this post! Love the pictures too! The zoo has always been a special place for our family. I don't know about when dad was little, but the significance of the brass ring was that whoever got the brass ring got a free ride on the carousel. They only give out one brass ring per ride, so as the carousel goes round you grab all the rings (a bunch of silver with one brass) hoping to get the brass ring. To add something about that carousel outside the San Diego Zoo, it is the 1st carousel we took Ethan on. I’m so thankful for your volunteer work at the Phoenix Zoo. I think it’s something very special to you and all of us. You’re such an inspiration!! We love you!

Marie said...

Thanks so much for taking the pictures of the different zoo exhibits and landscapes. They are so much bigger than I thought! Now I can more easily imagine you walking from exhibit to exhibit, sitting on a bench eating your lunch, talking with kids about the dragon....And thanks for telling us the story of your love of zoos throughout your lifetime. You have such a fun, beautiful place to volunteer and to take your family.

Colburns said...

We love going to the zoo thanks to you and George! Those are the fun moments in life where you sit back and watch the kids laugh. We are proud to have you as a volunteer at the zoo and 18 years is a good run, keep it coming!

Rhonda said...

As I mentioned on the James Wadsworth blog we are grateful for your zoo work. I have always loved the zoo and we have you to thank for that. Now you enjoy the zoo with your children, grandchildren and great grandchildren. Animals are a big part of my life and they have brought me so much joy and unconditional love thanks in a big part to you!