Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Love Is In The Air. . . .Sweet, Sweet, Love. . . .#7

The new Mr. and Mrs. George Paul Wimsatt

The bride, still not sure about those "Ginger Rogers" bangs

Delores, the most beautiful Maid of Honor

It's time to get dressed, Ina", Mother said softly and I heard a
wistful hint of sadness in her voice. Then she smiled at me and
I could see those wonderful eyes dancing with joy, excitement
and a mother's love and pride.
Soon, our little home was abuzz with activity. Mother and
Theresa helped into my beautiful wedding dress. I fastened the
locket Leo had sent me for my birthday several years ago while
he was serving as a pilot in the Air Force. I had put a picture of
George in one side and a cameo made from the first picture taken
of George and I when we started dating. I slipped the locket
inside the neck of my dress and felt it laying cool against my
skin. It was my "something old". Martha handed me a pair of
beautiful pearl earrings to wear. They would be lovely with the
pearls on my veil. They were my "something new". Mother
pressed a white handkerchief with a delicate crocheted edging
into my hand. It was the one she carried when she married my
father. It was my "something borrowed" and she said I would
carry it again when George and I were sealed in the temple. I
had found a lacy blue garter the day that Theresa and I were
shopping for my dress in Salt Lake City. For some reason,
Delores thought it was hilarious when I had to go under all of
the material of my slip and dress to put it on. "You did that
backwards, Ina, I think it was supposed to go on before your
dress and slip." It was my "something blue".
I was dressed and Martha was fussing with my hair, no thanks
to those two pesky little clouds that had rained on me, and me
alone. I was still not sure about my new, short, "Ginger
Rogers" bangs but everyone assured me that my hair looked
very nice. The sun was shining, the air was clear, and as I
stepped outside to walk the short distance to Mrs. Free's, it
seemed that I could already smell the flowers that covered
the yard in a riot of beautiful color.
Delores looked beautiful in the lovely pink lace dress I had
chosen for her to wear as my Maid of Honor. Lois Marie and
Todd Ann looked like little angels and were already taking
their role as Flower Girls very seriously. Gino, as Best Man
looked. . . .well. . . .he looked like Gino and I admit that as I
saw him standing there, I was praying that he wouldn't act
like Gino. . . .the unpredictable prankster. . . .and ruin my
wedding.
With "butterflies in my stomach", I took my father's arm as
he walked me to my place and put my hand into George's.
He gave me a hug as he returned to his place and my heart
jumped as I saw the sweet and loving smile on Georges
face. Bishop Horlacher said some wonderful spiritual
things to us, gave us good advice, and injected a bit of
loving humor. It had all gone so beautifully, I had to
admit that when Bishop Horlacher asked Gino if he had
the ring to give to George, I had a moment of panic.
Having been on the receiving end of Gino's pranks over
the years, this seemed like the ultimate opportunity for
the "prank of all pranks", but Gino just smiled and handed
George the ring. Right then I could have hugged him but
instead I held out my hand and George slipped on my ring.
I put his on and suddenly it was all over, he pronounced
us man and wife ending with these words to George, "You
may now kiss your bride"! After all of those weeks of
preparation and anticipation, it was over. . . .or I guess
it would be more apt to say that is was just beginning,
I was married! As unreal as it seemed, I was a wife.
We had a short amount of time to stand amid the flowers
as family and friends congratulated us and then, with
Delores carrying my train and the little flower girls
scattering flowers petals ahead of us, we walked the
short distance to the church for the reception.
In Panaca, as in most of the small Mormon towns of that
time, wedding receptions followed a distinct pattern. The
receiving line formed in the spacious foyer. Relief Society
sisters took the gifts from the guests before they advanced
down the line and placed them on a nearby table. There
were guests from all of the little towns in Lincoln County.
The receiving line was a joyous reunion of our families and
friends with lots of laughter, a few tears, and many great
stories from those who had known me since I was an infant
and whose ancestors, like mine, had helped to settle the
beautiful little town of Panaca. George's family, not being
a part of this Mormon lore and heritage, must have been
overwhelmed by some of this but they took it all very
graciously and even tut tutted and laughed in all of the
right places.
No LDS wedding reception in Panaca was complete with
out the traditional program that began with a hilarious
parody of married life. Karma Hollingshead from Panaca
was well known throughout the county for her readings.
Whether spiritual, serious, or pure comedy, she was a
master storyteller with all of the theatrics to go with her
script. The reading she gave for us was a masterpiece
about marriage; the trials, pitfalls, and joys that we would
encounter throughout our life together as husband and
wife.
The highlight of our program was the performance of my
two little nieces, my sister Edna's daughters, Marsha and
Thea Ann. These little girls had always been one of my
dearest joys. While my other sisters had been helping
me get ready, Edna had been with Marsha and Ann as
they dressed and practiced for their part on the program.
Marsha was eleven and Ann was eight. Even as young as
they were, they were the ultimate performers. For little
girls they had polished singing voices that were way beyond
their years. They stood fearless and belted out rousing
renditions of two "Hit Parade" songs of the day; "Abba
Dabba Honeymoon" and "Side By Side". The guests
loved it and they were called back twice to sing
another chorus of the songs.
From Abba Dabba Honeymoon:
"Abba dabba dabba dabba dabba dabba dabba"
said the chimp, "I love but you.'
Abba dabba dabba in monkey talk means
"Chimp, I love you too."
Then the ol' baboon, one night in June,
married them and very soon,
they sailed away on an Abba Dabba Honeymoon!"
(Eat your heart out, Debbie Reynolds!)
And, from Side By Side:
Through all kinds of weather, what if the sky should fall?
As long as we're together,
it really doesn't matter at all.
When they've all had their troubles and parted,
we'll be the same as we started,
just travelin' along singing a song, Side By Side.
(as I post this story, it is just several months from
59 years of being side by side, that's not too bad!)
Before the reception was over, they were asked to sing at
two other wedding receptions that were taking place soon.
They were the "Belles of the Ball!"
Refreshments were served during the program and then
there was dancing to the music of the Lincoln County
orchestra/band. I tossed my boquet (to Delores) but
was too timid to let George retrieve and toss the garter.
It was a perfect day, well almost, there were those two
little clouds that cried, a perfect wedding and a perfect
reception.
Next up. . . .Our Honeymoon. . . .


3 comments:

Rhonda said...

This is my favorite installment of the story, the beginning of our family! I knew Marsha and Ann sang at your reception but I didn't know the songs. No wonder you two loved Sandler and Young singing Side by Side when I was younger.Love you both!

Unknown said...

I am so in love with those pictures!!!

The Monrreal's said...

Thanks for sharing...I have to say you're hair really isn't too bad...you looked beautiful, just as a bride should.