Tuesday, December 29, 2009

George's Hobby. . . .MACFest Update. . . .


George tooling a picture at MACFest

Some completed projects he has for sale

He is loving his new set up. It is very efficient and can be closed in if it
rains or is windy. Also, it has great sun protection.
Wallets and Scripture Carriers are two of his most popular items

At his demonstration at the Arizona State Fair

Some pictures he displayed at his demonstration

Wallets, purses, totes and Scripture Carriers for display


MACFest this year has been a lot of fun for George. It has been a
lot of fun for all of us.
He is proud of his new set up; cabana, awnings, display racks and
more efficient workspace. It compares in a good light with any of
the vendor's booths at MACFest.
Interest in his work continues to grow and he has had more sales
this year. There are people who took his card last year who are
calling him and coming in this year. Being assigned by the Mesa
Art Guild to do a demonstration at the Arizona State Fair in
November and December, generated some new interest and new
customers. Rhonda and I were able to go to the fair and check out
his demonstration. It was very well done.
Muggles and I love to visit him at MACFest. We look forward to
Saturday when we join him for lunch and get to talk to the people
who stop by his booth. Muggles is a good ambassador, everyone
loves her, especially the children, and she loves them. Our
children and grandchildren, even those from out of town, often
drop in to say hello, check out what is happening, and eat lunch
with us. Old downtown Mesa is fun and interesting. MACFest
has definitely become a family fun time.
This is what George says about his leather work hobby: "This is
what an old man can do with all of the time he has on hand now
that he is too old to be in the work space."
He goes on to say, "I don't expect to make much money from
doing this but it gives me a great deal of pleasure to meet
people each Saturday and talk with them. When they purchase
a piece of my work, it is just an added bonus of my love for my
leather art. Leather work gives me something to look forward
to and it challenges me to improve, be creative, and definitely
to improve my painting skills. For an old man who lived to work
with his hands, this is what I love to do."
I am very proud of George and appreciate his talent and his
desire to keep improving and to share it with people.

2 comments:

Colburns said...

Everyone loves the scripture cases, every Sunday we get comments on all of ours.

The Monrreal's said...

We're all so proud of Granddad! I am so glad he has his leather work for a hobby (eventhough I still don't have a scripture case and some family members have several...no harsh feelings. Oh wait, I still need to find the picture of Jesus with the kids that I want. =)) Granddad is such an inspiration...I love him!!