Wednesday, September 17, 2008

That's Panaca - Memories


I have previously mentioned how much I loved Panaca, the little town of my birth, and the home of my father from his birth. Growing up in Panaca was wonderful. One of the first settlers of the town was my great grandfather, George A. Wadsworth, a coal miner from Pillery Green, Yorkshire, England. After listening to missionaries from the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, he was baptized a member on March 9, 1852. He was 23 or 24 years of age. On May 23, 1856, he left England for America with his wife Elizabeth Broadbent and their eight week old son Nephi John, my grandfather. Also aboard the ship "Horizon", were his son James from his first marriage to a young wife who had died, other relatives and a group of converts. Upon arriving in America, George and his family were sent to Iowa City, Iowa, where George was to organize a branch of the church and preside over it. He was successful in organizing the branch and presided over it with gratitude and humility until March 1857, when he was appointed by Erastus Snow, James A. Little, and William G. Young, to assist in the great Mormon emigration to Utah. He and his family arrived in the Salt Lake Valley with William G. Young's Company on September 25, 1857.

I hope to tell more of George later, but for now will say that upon the advise of President Brigham Young, he moved his family to Southern Utah. They lived in Panguitch for a year and in the Cedar Bench area for a short time before moving to Toquerville on January 11, 1859. They lived there for nine years. It was a hard time for them. They fought Indians and rattlesnakes and endured bitter cold winters with little food. George decided to move his family one last time. He wanted to live in a community where they could prosper and practice their religion actively and openly, and so George moved his family to Panaca, a little town nestled in the heart of beautiful Meadow Valley. Even though the country around Meadow Valley was desolate, the valley itself was beautiful with natural water springs. It had been part of the Utah Territory until 1864 when it became part of the new state of Nevada. Several pioneer families had already settled there and George felt strongly that this is where he should settle and raise his family. James and my grandfather Nephi John, the two sons who crossed the ocean with him, grew to manhood in Panaca and were stalwarts in the growth and prosperity of the beautiful little town. Their siblings also played important roles in it's growth. I hope to be able to portray that in future stories.

I didn't have the privilege of knowing my grandparents, Nephi John and Eliza Jane Terry, as my grandmother passed away at the old home in Panaca on September 28, 1931 and less than a year later, on August 20, 1932, my grandfather died, also at the old home. Even though I didn't have a chance to really know them, I know they loved me and I know that before they died, I was held in their arms and cherished by them. Though they were gone, I was surrounded as I was growing up by uncles, aunts, and cousins. It was a magical time.

Reading from the book, "A Century in Meadow Valley" and in my father's history, I have been fascinated to note that my ancestors, from George A. Wadsworth to the present, have followed the same traditons and customs. My children and my sibling's chidren, played on and enjoyed, the same "nature's playground" as we did and our father and grandparents before us.

In the 1960s while in Cedar City, Utah, I purchased a small book of essays and poems by a local writer. I don't remember his name, but I loved his style of writing. It seemed he could paint a picture and capture a myriad of memories in one essay or poem. I was so enthralled that I decided I would attempt to use his style to capture some of my own memories. Following is one of my early endeavors. Some of you may have seen it in a Tribal Gazette Newsletter.

That's Panaca! - Memories

A small pioneer town nestled in a beautiful valley. A town which was home to my great-grandparents, grandparents, and parents. A town where I was born. . . . .That's Panaca!

Beautiful sunsets, stars, the sunrise, birds singing, gentle breezes, lightening streaking, thunder cracking, rain gently falling, soft white snow. . . . .That's Panaca!

A loving mother- Baking, canning, sewing, teaching, reading, reciting, playing, laughing - Always there for anyone and everyone who needed her. . . . .That's Panaca!

A gentle father - Ranching, farming, governing, teaching, sharing, caring, serving, helping - An example to his family, his children, his fellow men. . . . .That's Panaca!

Brothers and sisters - Loving, quarreling, sharing, helping, supporting, playing, studying - Always being thankful for each other and the heritage they share. . . . .That's Panaca!

The Court rock, the Big Ditch, the Spring, the Sand Banks, Condor Canyon, the Big Bridge, the Peak, the Indian Caves, Cathedral Gorge - Beautiful, magical, fascinating. . . . .That's Panaca!

Church, picnics, dances, box socials, parades, dynamite and races on the 24th of July, Easter Egg hunts at The Well, gathering pinenuts - Fun. . . . .That's Panaca!

Pollywogs, Horned Toads, Relief Society Bugs, the Fast Day, the Sorry Farm - fresh mown hay, flowers - Hollyhock Dolls, Weeping Willow trees - reed whistles. . . . .That's Panaca!

Cattle - herding, milking, pigs - slopping, a tiny lamb - loving, chickens - gathering eggs, cats - playing - Learning to care about all of God's creations. . . . .That's Panaca!

Dogs - Beans, Tony - barking, chasing, playing, licking - Horses - Pardner, Silver, Lobo, Blue, Skippy, Dad's Percherons - Moving as one and feeling free. . . . .That's Panaca!

Red Rover, Red Rover, send David right over - Bonfires and potatoes roasting, skimming over the ice in red and blue skating outfits - Laughing. . . . .That's Panaca!

Halloween - Mother's taffy, Thanksgiving - turkey and tarts, Christmas morning - Dad's Harmonica, a family parade - cousins, aunts, uncles - Together in love. . . . .That's Panaca!

A place to return to, bring your children to, introduce your grandchildren to - A place that to a happy child was a "little bit of heaven" here on earth. . . . .That's Panaca!

My children and grandchildren have been introduced to Panaca and have stored some of these very same memories in their hearts. I would hope that before I die, I might go to Panaca with my great grandchildren. They need to know and experience the rich heritage and love that is theirs and where it all began in a beautiful little town. . . . .That's Panaca!


Pictures from "Nature's Playground. . . . .That's Panaca !
Upper left - Cathedral Gorge
Upper right - The Peak
Center - The Sand Banks
Lower left - The Court Rock'

Thanks to my sister, Delores, for these wonderful pictures!

1 comment:

Rhonda said...

I don't know if I realized that Nephi John and Eliza Jane, your grandparents died when you were so young. Panaca is a special place for me. I have recently had the desire to visit again with my children and grandchildren which of course would be your grandchildren and great grandchildren. Some of my fondest childhood memories are of Panaca and beach camping. What exactly is a Relief Society bug?.....